b.ing pls



A transformational system
Introducing project CHILD

Since 1988 i have been working with a wonderful  group of educators to transform the way traditional instruction is delivered. Our goal is to create transformed classroom to better meet the needs of  21st century children.i began  this work as an outgrowth of my doctoral dissertation, but over the years it has continued to evolve into a highly-developed model with materials, training , and ongoing support.
This transformational system is called project CHILD. The original acronym stood for computers helping instruction and learning development. But, over the years, this led to confusion as to whether project child was a computer-based program, or perhaps computer software. It is not. It is a teaching model that incorporates computers as one of 20 essential components.hence, in 2000, we changed the acronym to changing how instruction for learning is delivered. We’re also trying to get out of the habit of calling it project child,since we’re well beyond the pilot and project stage.but habits are hard to break, so we continue to call it project child
The child instructional model grew out of the realization that the traditional self- contained grade school model has severe limitations for the 21st century. It is difficult to meet the needs of 21st century children raised in a multimedia world using a one-dimensional instructional model. The added demands for higher standards and a more rigorous curriculum make it difficult for a single teacher to provide instructional depth across every subject.
The project child system works for all kinds of children from all kinds of schools. It’s interesting that in some communities. Project child has come to be known as the program for the gifted children,while in other communities it has been characterized as problem child, since schools have chosen to target their children with special needs. Gifted kids,problem kids, or kids in the middle all seem to do well in the transformed child environment.

in the beginning listening to children
The child acronym did not happen by accident. The name was a conscious decision to put children at the heart of the model. Even when we changed the name from computers helping instruction and learning development to changing how instruction for learning is delivered, the acronym still spells child.
I have always believed that there is no great mystery about how to create effective schools. Just listen to children and try to understand things from their point of view. Then create classroom that respect children and provide for their natural desires to learn in a joyful,safe, and consistent environment. Mara Montessori  had it right.play is a child’s work.
Perhaps this belief developed because I became a teacher in a non- traditional way. I was not trained to be a teacher. In fact, my undergraduate degree was in economics. I started my career in the printing business at R.R Donelly in Chicago
After getting marriage in 1968, I moved to st.louis, where I continued to work in the printing industry. But something happened during the summer of 1969 that changed my life
My husband was in a dual graduate school program at Washington university and eden theological seminary, and he had an opportunity to work  during the summer as the program  director at a boys YMCA camp near flint,Michigan. I had become very dissastified with my printing industry job, so I decided to quit and join him at camp copneconic. Ah, impetuous youth.
I jumped right into the activities and was quickly assigned by the program director to teach sailing, archery, and photography. I knew nothing about these things, but the kids and I learner together. I was also the song leader and drama coach. It was wonderful
Many of the campers, who ranged in age from 6to 13, came from troubled homes and had lots of behavior issues. but they began to thrive at the two week residence camp, where we opened their minds with sports, skits,arts and crafts,campfire songs, stories, and projects. I still remember the little boy who had been  a chronic troublemaker. He went on stage during one of our skit nights and blew everyone away with his talent, gaining their respect. The kids immediately stopped picking on him.

We were also big on long-term projects, like running a mock political campaign. Each camper was assigned to a political party, and they elected candidates, wrote campaign speeches, made election signs and cheered their candidates on at the grand convention at the end of the week.
As I worked with my small groups of boys on our various projects and activities. I was intrigued with how wise they were and how  they hungered for adults who would listen and respect them. We had a genuine bond. It was then that I decided to become a teacher.
When we returned to st.louis at the end of the summer, i headed to the st.louis board of education to apply for a job. due to a chronic teacher shortage in the inner city schools,they would hire people like me on a temporary certificate. i had to agree to enroll in teacher certification courses at local college in addition to my teaching workload.
I began teaching fourth grade at rock spring school, in the hearth of st louis, and going to night school at webster college to obtain my teaching credentials. as the rookie, i was assigned, to the most difficult class in the school.this didn't make much sense, i thought, but it seemed to be standard practice. the veteran teachers got their pick of the good classes. it was literally sink or swim for us rookies. I decided to swim.

I had 39 students in my class that first year 38 were african american and I was white. they ranged in age from 9 to 12. they were all below grade level. they were noisy, physical, and a genuine handful, but I was determined to win them over.
Having had no formal teacher training at that point, I had to rely on my instincts and draw from the summer camp experience. the principal had warned me that "these children",as he always called them,couldn't do much in the way of academics. he just wanted me to keep things under control. so did I

Getting the kids to listen and pay attention was a major challenge. it quickly became apparent that the lecture-discussion-textbook approach was not working. so, i started to do more with small group centers and projects just like summer camp. we puts on plays, learned lots of songs, and produced a slide show on black history that got us an invitation to make a presentation at the school board meeting downtown. it was then that i learned that many of students had never even been on an elevator

I had the principal's blessing to be unconventional. as long as kids weren't coming to the office and my classroom door what shut to keep out the hubbub, he was happy.
The bottom line is that my students did as well or better than the other classes when it came to standardized tests. they were actually learning by doing. the theories of john dewey, Carlton Washburn, and other progressive educators that i was beginning to read about in my night classes were true.
In my third year of the teaching, i got a taste of the power of having students for more than one year. it seemed that the principal had a problem of having too many fifth graders to form another whole class. he decided that someone would have to have a combination fourth-fifth grade class. guess who volunteered ?
I told my principal that I would be happy to take the split class- if would let me choose the fifth grades from my current fourth grade class. he was delighted to have his numbers problem solved, so he agreed that i could select the kids. I choose seven of my more mature students, who i knew could also be a help as mentors for the younger fourth graders. it proved to be a wonderful year.
After three years at rock spring school, I moved to the acclaimed new city school, a private school based on the british infant school model. the briitsh infant model uses multi-age groupings for five- to seven-year-olds and is oriented towards hands-on, project-based learning.
It was there that I learned about multi-age grouping and the wisdom of teaching children for three years. the new city school also was big on hands - on learning, I fit right in. CHILD was being conceived, but the actual birth was still a few years away
In 1973, my husband finished graduate school and had a job offer at florida state university, so we moved to tallahassee. I was eight months pregnant with our first daughter
Becoming a mother continued to open my eyes to child development and how children learn in a natural way. my second daughter was born in 1975, and I stayed home with my children in their early years. my neighborhood was full of other young families, so we organized playgroups and co-op dinners. I was always aroundyoung children, watching and listening. I was intrigued with how they learned by playing, exploring, and pretending.
I still am convinced that my oldest daughter, Charlotte, leraned to read by playing school with her friend Amber down the street. Amber was two years older, so this wise seven-year-old helped my five- year- old become importance of peer interaction as the CHILD model evolved
During my stay- at home mom days, I started working on my master's degree at florida state. I concentrated my studies on reading and child development. I continued to explore the British Infant School instructional model and how young children could learn to read in a literature- rich environment
In 1978, I went back to teaching at the Florida State University lab school. I continued to use the hands- on methods that had worked so well and refined them with more focus on content and skills. I also began doctoral studies in elementary education. My formal education was adding to my repertoire. It was also during this period that the final piece of the CHILD instructional model, the incorporation of technology, took shape. (There's more about that in Chapter 7.)
Living among the natives- my life as a first grader
The most insightful piece of the model, however, came during my experience working on my doctoral research at Seally Elementary School in Tallahassee. It was there that I became a first grader for the second time. I spent a semester listening to children, trying to understand classroom life from their point of view. What kept them interested? What kept them on- task ?
Hidup di antara kehidupanpribumi-saya sebagai anak kelaspertama.


My dissertation topic was " Time - on - Task : Contextual Dimensions in a first Grade Classroom." It was an etnographic study that scared to become a participant - observer. I had received a grant that enabled me to take a semester leave of absence from my teaching job in order to become a first grade student again.
I sat with the kids and worked alongside them. I never engaged in adult behavior such as asking questions, correcting, or criticizing. I never conversed with other adults in their presence. They called me the "big girl."  I simply listened and learned.
I knew that I had become a true insider on the day when our table got in trouble. There was some whispering going on during seatwork time. The teacher was working with a reading group, and we were supposed to be quietly working on our practice papers.
The teacher looked up from her table across the room and gave us "the look."  When that didn't stop the chatter, she got up and started to write names on the board. Now things were getting serious. This was a dire threat, as the policy was that if your name went on the board, and if you got extra check marks by your name, you had to take a note home to your parents.
The kids at my table got the messages and got back to work. But Tray whispered to Susie, Who will Sally take her note home to?"
And Susie simply stated," She"ll take it to her husband."
So my second life as a first grader taught me many things. What I learned is that a child's day is very long and tedious in a traditional classroom. There are many opportunities to get off - task, usually from confusion rather than defiance. Children often simply misunderstand oral directions.
I learned that young children often confuse adult speech, and misunderstand the teacher's oral directions. Even I can remember as a child thinking the words to the Star Spangled  Banner opened with,"Jose can you see..." Some children think the Pledge of Allegiance says "I led the pigeons to the flags.. and to the Republic for Richard Stands." My fellow first graders also misinterpreted directions and commands.
On many occasions, I watched as my seat mates incorrectly completed worksheet after work sheet. They would try to ask for help by raising their hands, but the teacher was busy working with a reading group. Since talking was not allowed, they could not ask a peer. So they floundered.
I also noticed how children could stretch out an easy task to fill the allotted time. Since there was no incentive for finishing early and nothing to do but wait, they would go as slowly as possible. Fidgeting and squirming were a constant, as these six-  year - old had to stay seated for long stretches of time.
Imagine an adult workplace that required you to stay seated for hours at a time, with no talking allowed. You could not even get up to go use the restroom, except at prescribed interval. Most adults would find this sadistic. Yet, that's how children spend day after day in traditional classroom.
An important component of the CHILD model, therefore, is the self-paced movement to the learning stations, along with peer interaction. "Ask three before me" is a common expression in a CHILD classroom, as children are encouraged to get help from their peers as needed.
The project CHILD design
Project CHILD encompasses a three dimensional approach to teaching and learning that I call triangulated learning. A triangle is characteristic of strength, while the delta symbol represent innovation. Project CHILD taps the "power of three" to bolster and transform the traditional single- teacher, single-grade, single- year, single- dimensional classroom.
It's important to understand that project CHILD represent an evolution rather than a revolution. Too many educational innovations have called for revolutionary tactics that few teachers could master or few schools could accomodate. And parents are not comfortable putting their children in the center of a revolution. Project CHILD is different.
All the elements in project CHILD are pulled from best practices and effective approaches that others have pioneered. But the uniqueness is that project CHILD offers a systematic method that can be replicated and implemented effectively  by all types of teachers in all types of schools. It works with each schools's own curriculum and materials and incorporates all state and federal standards.

It's not a quick fix. In fact, it takes at least three years to really take hold. It also takes hard work to get started, and a commitment to change. Here's how it works.
Three cross- grade classroom form a CHILD cluster , for either primary (K-2) or intermediate (3-5) grades. Each teacher in the cluster teaches one of the core subject areas- reading, writing, or mathematics- for all three grade levels.
The students stay in the same cluster for three years, although their home base teacher will be different each year. For example, Ms. Jones is the third grade home base teacher who specializes in reading, Ms. Smith is the fourth grade home base teacher who specializes in writing, and Mr. Hernandez is the fifth grade home base teacher who specializes in mathematics. Next year, Ms.Jones third graders will move to Ms. Smith's fourth grade room, but they will be cycling to Ms. Jones again for reading instruction. Thus, the teachers have three years as a team to work with the students in their cluster.
Students rotate daily through the three cluster classroom for instruction in each basic subject. Each CHILD  classroom is set up with six learning stations  :
A computer Station for learning with instructional software
A teacher Station for small group tutoring
A textbook Station for written work
A Challenge Station for learning in a game- like format
An exploration Station for hands- on activities and projects and
A Construction Station for creative expression
After a brief teacher directed lesson, students work at the stations tp practice and apply the lesson content. The teacher assigns each student to begin at a station, but they move independently to other stations as they finish the assigned task. This is the essence of personalized learning. During station work, the teacher either works with small groups at the teacher station or circulates to help students one- on- one.
Student spend 60 to 90 minute in each of the cluster classrooms, returning to the classroom that serves as their home base for instruction in science and social studies. They will also go to special classes, such as art, music, and physical neducation throughout the course of the day.
Here's how a typical CHILD class period might play out. The class begins with a brief whole group lesson where the teacher presents a new concept or reviews material that needs further explanation. Then the children begin working at the six learning stations. Each station has an activity that is tied to the whole group lesson content. For example, if the lesson is about fractions, each station will have a learning activity about fractions, often requiring different levels of difficulty and challenge.
At the end of the period, there is time to clean up the stations and return to a whole group setting to review, reflect, and share what has happened at the stations. Then it's on to the next CHILD class, and a similar routine with the next subject .
Project CHILD transforms classrooms from rows of desks, with every student doing the same thing at the same time, to multi dimensional learning laboratories that facilitate col laboration and active learning. CHILD personalizes learning by enabling children to move at their own pace through the varied learning stations in order to capitalized on different learning modes and different learning styles.
The learning stations offer skill- based and exploratory learning for in depth practice in each subject area. Students have multiple opportunities to learn a particular skill or concept, using computers and hands- on activities along with textbook work. While whole group instruction still is appropriate, it does not dominate as it does in the didactic classroom. Seatwork becomes enriched, broadened, and personalized. Station activities and engaging software encourage children to think creatively and apply the skills the teacher has taught.
Teachers begin to move around the classroom, interacting with students at the stations. They become more comfortable in an interactive environment. Noise becomes less and less of an issue, as teachers become accustomed to the low hum of active children engaged in collaborative station work. And as teachers, begin to feel more comfortable working alongside the children  and away from the spotlight, they evolve toward constructivist  teaching and guided discovery. A CHILD classroom embodies what William Purkey calls "invitational learning." Powerful  things begin to happen.
The CHILD model also supports the five propositions of Accomplished Teaching, put forth by the national board for professional teaching standards :
1. Teachers are committed to students and their learning. CHILD teachers stay with students for three years.
2. Teachers know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students. CHILD teachers specialize and can focus intensively on either reading, writing, or mathematics.
3. teacher are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning. CHILD teachers learn a precise classroom management system and use a composite assessement system to evaluate each student's progress
4. Teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experience. CHILD teachers engage in ongoing reflective cluster meetings, peer classroom observation, and advanced training. They may also mentor new CHILD teachers.
5. Teachers are members of learning communities. CHILD teachers participate in a networked learning community at the school and regional levels, as well as nationally through an annual CHILD conference. They have newsletters and use the Internet to stay connected with one another. CHILD teachers also have opportunities for futher training to become CHILD consultants to mentor beginning CHILD teachers.
Evidence of effectiveness
Program evaluations collected over 15 years have shown that project CHILD students perform significantly higher than their counterparts on standardized tests, have far fewer discipline problems, and have hig attendance rates. Remarkably, CHILD has proved to be effective for all types of students, whether they have been identified as gifted, at- risk, or average. CHILD also works well as an inclusions model for children with special needs and students who speak English as a second language.
Achievement test scores from CHILD classrooms clearly demonstrate that CHILD student achieve at high levels, even though a majority of the participating schools are located in high poverty neighborhoods. (Evaluation reports from many years are available on the Project CHILD Web site at www.ifsi.org.)
South Heights Elementary School in Henderson, Kentucky. is just one example of a school wide CHILD success story. In five years, South Heights improved from being sanctioned for poor performance to becoming a nationally recognized exemplary school.
In 2000, South Heights began with a CHILD pilot in three classroom. It was an outstanding success. The next year South Heights expanded CHILD throughout the school. Since then, South Heights has made tremenclous strides in moving from being a targeted- assistance, low performing school to being recognized as one of the best schools in The country to receive the prestigious National School Change Award from Fordhan University and the American Association of school Administrators. South Heights Elementary  has accomplished this by using the CHILD model as the engine that drives their success.
The Principal,Rob Carroll, is a true champion for children. He has brought joy and success to a forlorn school thet had been written off by the community as a chronic failure. South Heights Elementary is in an urban, racially diverse, high- poverty neighborhood. The school used to be plagued with all the stereotypes of failure, hopelessness. and low expectations.
But now it's a different story. Visitors to South Heights Elementary are astonished at thetransformation. Everywhere you go in the building, you see bright and eager faces. Children's art work and creative projects decorate the hallways and are posted throughout the building. The children are busy and engaged in each and every classroom. Technology and hands- on activities are integrated into daily classroom instruction.
And it's not just the children who are happy to be there
Mr. Carroll has also transformed a demoralized and antagonicstic faculty into a unified team who beam withpride as they talk about their school's success. Their motto is " We succeed.  No exceptions . No excuses."
The entire faculty and staff live this motto every day. In 2003, the staff voted to invest their $41,000 of state reward money back into the school rather then taking personal allotments. And in 2004, the entire staff boarded two chartered buses for New York City to receive their school's national award. Their $5,000 prizes and community fundraisers paid for the trip.
The school's achievement data is truly amazing. This graph shows their growth and improvement through the years. Remember that 2001 was the year they implemented project CHILD school wide.
What's the downside ?
Like any new venture, CHILD does not appeal to every teacher and every parent. Over the years, concerns have been raised about the CHILD system. Some teachers don't like working in teams and don't feel comfortable teaching multiple grade levels. Some teachers don't agree with elementary teachers as subject specialists, preferring instead to teach all subjects using. a thematic approach. And frankly, some teachers just aren't willing to put in the hard work it takes to get started.
Parents express concern about the possibility of having a bad teacher for three years. This problem must be addressed by the school's administration in the same way that any bad teacher must be dealt with. At least, in a triangulated model, a child with a poor teacher has two others on the team to pick up the slack. Many find this preferable to being with a bad teacher for an entire year in a traditional classroom. The other cluster teachers are also less tolerant of a week teammate who will drag them down. Poor teachers are identified sooner and removed more quickly in CHILD classrooms.
Another parent concern involves whether CHILD provides enough structure. Some parents worry that young children cannot handle the responsibility and decision- making required in a CHILD classroom. However, once parents understand the CHILD system with its highly structured, albeit transparent, management system, those fears usually disappear Principals and administrator don't like the scheduling hassles with the CHILD triangulated design. It is difficult to change the school's classroom rotations. Administrator also are reluctant to move teachers out of long established classroom to create clusters in close proximity.
District administrators don't like the fact that the CHILD design may require waivers from state and district mandates. For example, schools that receive Reading First founds tied to the federal No Child Left Behind act are required to use one of a handful of approved core reading programs, with every teacher teaching reading for 90 minutes. The core reading programs, many of which are highly scripted, along with the 90 minutes of direct instruction, are clearly incompatible with the CHILD triangulated design.
What about children with special needs ?
The CHILD model is ideally suited for children with special needs. It is especially effective as an inclusion model. The learning station format lends it self to having supplemental teachers working unobtrusively with students with special needs.
Some schools have added a special education teacher as the fourth member of the cluster team. The special ed teacher can rotate with the students or float around to the cluster classroom as needed.
Children with English as their second language (ESOL) have also been well- served in CHILD classrooms. Again, some schools have the ESOL teacher  work at stations with the designated ESOL students. We've also discovered that non-English- speaking children seem to acquire English skills more rapidly, due to the conversation and interactions allowed at stations with their peers.
Children with specific disabilities can also be accommodated in CHILD classrooms. Our original pilot school, Valparaiso Elementary in Okaloosa Country,Florida, included hearing